If you have an air conditioning problem, you might be able to fix it without having to call a professional. Troubleshooting air conditioners is important before you hire someone else to do it for you. This is not only about saving money; this is also about the convenience of you being able to do the repairs right then and there should some malfunctions take place. Fixing a broken air conditioner might be difficult, but troubleshooting and maintenance is easy. The most important thing that you need to remember when dealing with electricity is to make sure that you turn the unit off on your electrical panel.
Air Conditioning Troubleshooting 101
In order for you to successfully troubleshoot your system, you need to have a clear understanding of the basics first. The evaporator and condenser are the important parts that you need to focus on when troubleshooting. Most likely, your air conditioner is connected to your forced air distribution system. The drain line and the evaporator coil are located at the distribution center. The condenser unit is the big unit sitting on top of a concrete slab outside the home.
1. Before you conclude that you have a broken air condition, ensure that you have set the temperature lower than the current temperature of your home. Also ensure that the power to the unit is turned on.
2. One very important maintenance step that is usually done at the end of the troubleshooting procedure is cleaning the air conditioner located at the distribution center. A clogged filter will restrict air flow.
3. If your unit is turned on but does not cool, the problem is probably in the distribution system, or your air conditioner might be broken. Unfortunately, if this is the problem, it would be best that you call a professional to fix it for you.
4. Another culprit when it comes to poor air low is the cooling air ducts. Check to ensure that all connections are free of bends and are secure.
5. If your unit is broken and the compressor it to blame, prepare to shell out a hefty amount for repairs. If your air conditioner hard starts or makes odd noises, it is most likely that the problem really lies on the unit itself.
Proper Air Conditioning Maintenance
Proper air conditioner maintenance will help make sure that your unit works to its full potential for years to come. Below are some simple steps in preventing the need to troubleshoot air conditioner problems.
1. Your air conditioner filter is very important in maintaining your unit.
2. Cover the compressor of your air conditioner during winter.
3. Replace your unit’s filter at least twice in a year to prevent operating problems ice-covered cooling coils.
4. If you have issues with dehumidification, you might want to evaluate your philosophy that bigger is always better. A unit that is over-sized just might be the problem in this case.
5. Ensure that your air ducts are sealed and well insulated.
Call Your Friendly Air Conditioning Technician For Any Troubleshooting
These are just some of the basic air conditioner problem and troubleshooting tips to determine if you have a broken unit. Still, know that there are so many more reasons that your unit will fail.